Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Studio Day

For information about the Plein-air Workshop in Holland, please visit  www.donaldjurneyworkshop.blogspot.com   


A Return to Rawson's Neck

Truth to tell, although I've been thoroughly enjoying all my seaside plein air days, I was glad to spend today in the studio. A day without sunscreen running down into my eyes was most welcome.

The question became, of course, what to paint? It seemed about time to re-visit Rawson's Neck. After a lot of on-site work, maybe I could do it justice? So I drove up past Del's filling station, rounded the hill past Soper's farm stand, and descended to Rawsonport. From there I drove out onto the neck, and imagined the scene.

Here's what I came up with.


 Like all the other recent work, it's a study, 8" x 12", 20x30cm. It needs lots of fiddling, but it was so wet by late this afternoon that I durst not touch it any more. In a day or two I'll finish the troubling bits. In any event, you can see that it was a nice day on the neck...and between my ears.

B.T. will be pleased to know that I have a 12" clear plastic T-square on order. When it comes, the horizons may finally get better.

*******************************************************
 Marc Dalessio

Marc Dalessio is one of my very favorite artists. We are sporadically in contact, and he's been generous in recommending my overseas workshops.

At the moment he is about to open a show at Grenning Gallery, Sag Harbor, New York.

Marc Dalessio Solo Show | June 25th - July 13th

"Our first show of the summer season opens on June 28th from 6:30 - 8:30pm, running from June 25th to July 13th. 
The solo show of Marc Dalessio will showcase one of the most dedicated and successful classically trained painters of this generation. It will include a selection of works created en plain air in Russia, Denmark, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Fiji, Croatia, and the United States."

If you find yourself anywhere near Sag Harbor, this show is a MUST.


Aside from the fact that I'm a huge fan of his work, especially his small panels, he is a tremendously knowledgeable fellow who could not be more generous in sharing his insights with his blog followers. When I first started blogging my aim was to try to be as open and helpful as Marc. I'm still trying.

I recommend that y'all have a look at Marc's blog. I suspect you'll become as addicted as I.  http://www.marcdalessio.com/ 

***********************************************************

Classes:

Weekend Workshop
28-29 June 2014 This Weekend! We'll be painting along the seacoast
Contact me about this dbjurney@verizon.net

The Ogunquit Summer School of Art

Ogunquit, Maine

   
Two two-day workshops
14-15 August 2014
27-28 September 2014
Contact them at 603-819-9100

Holland
 
4-12 September, Alkmaar, NL Contact me about this dbjurney@verizon.net

Toronto 6-10 October 2014
Contact me about this. dbjurney@verizon.net

Norway August 2015
Contact me to receive information as it becomes  available. dbjurney@verizon.net
 

Wales  A possible 2015 workshop for the Welsh Academy of Art

3 comments:

  1. Does this one drop to the right? Lovely piece. Great colour in those rocks. One word of warning: don't let turps get at that plastic ruler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it does (did). Turps/mineral spirits never touch anything except my brushes after painting. Nevertheless I did get a spare as they are easily snapped (in anger?!)

      Delete