Tuesday, July 1, 2014

June Studies

For information about the Plein-air Workshop in Holland, please visit  www.donaldjurneyworkshop.blogspot.com   

A Coupla Things

I'm looking forward to the workshop in Toronto, in cooperation with the Toronto Academy of Realist Art. It's a bit different for me because I'll be teaching plein air landscape to students who are primarily classically trained still life and figure painters. Many have never painted en plein air.

I certainly remember being daunted by Mother Nature when I began. Of recent years she and I have reached a truce. I no longer expect her to furnish me with motifs perfectly composed and she no longer expects me to tell the truth about what she looks like.

The second day of our plein air weekend workshop found us at Lowell's Boat Shop, in Amesbury, Massachusetts. It is the oldest continuously operated boat works in the United States, having been begun in 1793. It sits along the left bank of the Merrimack River. They offer classes in boat-building, have boats to rent and to sell, and are a lively and important member of the community.


Above, is a study (8" x 12" 20x30cm), from Sunday at Lowell's. I took much liberty with the far bank and its clusters of houses and boats. But, since I'm not illustrating a guidebook, I merely wanted to give a sense of the complexity.

Fortunately, I had my artistic license with me.


 
In other news, I expect to get The Dead Paintings Society up and running for a summer appearance.


There are any number of days coming when it will be too hot to paint out-of-doors, or it will be raining. When I know a few days in advance that there will be an inclement day, I may schedule a session of The Dead Paintings Society. Each session will need to have a minimum of six students. Because of limited space in my studio, I'll need to limit the class to ten students. One need not be an artist to attend. The cost will be $60, and the session will run from 9:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. at my Amesbury studio (14 Cedar Street). If you'd like to be on a list to be notified of the sessions as they are scheduled, please let me know at dbjurney@verizon.net

If you're not familiar with The Dead Paintings Society, you can read more here and here and here .

Weekly Classes...inside and out. Several of the students at this past weekend's workshop asked about the possibility of weekly classes. I've no objection to a weekly plein air class, but I was also asked about the possibility of inside classes. This is a possibility if I can find a space for it, and if enough people are interested. Possibly it could be a session to which you bring your own dead paintings to work on with my help. Lastly, one student has asked about an evening class. I don't know if this would suit others. If you'd like to attend an inside class, or an evening class, please write to me at dbjurney@verizon.net

Happy Painting!

**********************************************************
Classes:

The Ogunquit Summer School of Art
Ogunquit, Maine
 14-15 August 2014
27-28 September 2014
Contact them at 603-819-9100

Holland
 
4-12 September, Alkmaar, NL Contact me about this dbjurney@verizon.net TWO PLACES REMAINING

Toronto 6-10 October 2014
Contact me about this. dbjurney@verizon.net THIS CLASS IS FULL

Norway August 2015
Contact me to receive information as it becomes  available. dbjurney@verizon.net
 

Wales  A possible 2015 workshop for the Welsh Academy of Art


 

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog thanks to a FB link posted by Graydon Parrish. Wonderful work, and I enjoyed your comments about the freedom to rearrange nature to improve the result. Spot on. I'm looking forward to reading back through your posts, as well as seeing what you've yet to write, and paint. Enjoy your summer. -Bill Cone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bill, and welcome. Hope you find something on the blog that has some value for you. Paint well! Donald

    ReplyDelete