Friday, December 13, 2013

Trying to find an Answer

A Fresh Start

This is a quick post about what happened in the studio today.

I pulled out of the cupboard a 20x25" canvas that I began at the Vermont Workshop in June 2012. Since that time it's been languishing around the studio, but it was brought into service this autumn for a session of the Dead Paintings Society. I re-worked it some, changing it several times in the process, for whatever educational benefit it might have.

Today, casting about for a surface on which to paint, and not wanting to stretch a canvas, I decided that the Vermont painting needed to give its life for ART. 

Although I failed to take a photo before I started, there's enough here to bring back painful memories for any of my students who were there.



I flipped it into a vertical.


And added the yellow ochre, baryte yellow, and secret yellow sky and its reflection.

What I was most after was a mood. Most of you know I like to keep the painting entirely in play until my imagination is fired by something within the rectangle.


Above, you will see that I continued the reflection, and added a temporary "shoreline" so I would have a reference point.


At this stage, I've put in a bit more color, and made some streaks in the sky. I've wiped out the area in the lower left, thinking about putting in a near shoreline or bank.


Now there is some more activity in the sky and a reflection in the water. The distant hill is more filled in, as is its reflection.

Finally, I filled in the hillside and its reflection, and built a rocky foreground. 



This is where I stopped. I'm not sure what will ultimately be the "subject" of the picture in a conventional sense.   For me, the subject will be the mood.

Try this at home.
 

3 comments:

  1. Fascinating process and evolution. Very Wyethish feel to it for some reason.
    Reminds me of Edwardian or early twenties bok plates. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never "get my head around" that one, thanks for sharing this, I'm a "follower" now,
    Best, Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR

    ReplyDelete