Saturday, July 27, 2013

From the Archives

Some Disparate Things

Noodling through the archives before bedtime tonight I came across some things that might amuse you.

First, the invitation card for my first-ever exhibition, a three-day affair in October, 1977.


And the price list for the exhibition (US$):

The price list was made on a typewriter (a machine which some of you may remember).

In June 1980, returning at dusk from a painting expedition with my friend and fellow-artist George Wingate, I made this quick sanguine drawing of the sign for a tourist camp.

 
In the summer of 1982, I went camping with artist friends in the Adirondacks. We painted late into the evening, and wound up cooking over our campfire, under a bright moon. Here's watercolor record of the scene.

H
Here's a drawing, about actual size, which became a 50x60" (125x150cm) painting.


Here's a six-foot wide painting (180cm).

  

A drawing, from the rear of a train, at Stevenage, Hertfordshire. I've always intended to try a painting from this and, now that I've found it, I may just do that.



To end, here's a "sampler" which hangs out in my studio (oil on panel, 20" x 20", 50x50cm).



I hope you've enjoyed this gallimaufry of images. 

Remember to try lots of different things. It will keep you fresh.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks for the look at some of your early work. Love that first pencil sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bruce. That drawing is #15 on the pricelist. It didn't find a buyer and I still have it. At $55.00 (framed) it was apparently a bit steep in 1977.

      Delete