Thursday, August 22, 2013

Figuring it Out

Jannetje Scrubs the Walk

Those of you who follow the blog know that I can't paint figures. Thus you will know that I struggled mightily with Jannetje, the sole figure so far in the large painting.

When I was a kid, there was a scouring powder of which Jannetje would have approved.


Eventually---when she's dry--- she'll get better modeled, and she'll get a bucket, some water, and a rag or a brush. 
(At the moment, it looks like Jannetje had a terrible accident to her right arm. Hope I can figure it out.)

I expect the painting will have at least one other figure, and probably a dog.


Color ain't right, as usual.

Scrub-a-dub-dub.

7 comments:

  1. She looks good to me - very nice. Maybe the figure is large as the painting's big? In a normal size painting she would be fine.

    It's nice to have people in there - I project - and the story telling becomes stronger...

    Certainly this is more than 50 years ago tho'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. I hope by the time it's done, it'll be in the 17thc.
      Poor Jannetje! She was still scrubbing when I got to the studio this morning.
      Good luck with your exhibition.

      Delete
  2. Maitre - Jannetje indeed! You are the bestest! Cheers Y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going blind painting small-pane, leaded glass windows. When Jannetje finishes scrubbing, she's got a lot of copper and brass ahead.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the well wishes, Donald!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A figure in the painting! Good stuff! She probably sold that pearl earing to obtain that scrubbing brush. Must have been a lot of fun doing the figure after all of those tiles, pavers and leaded window panes. As they say locally: Bon courage!

    ReplyDelete