Monday, August 13, 2012

Plein Air Saturday

Saturday once-a-month class


Saturday was the August meeting of our monthly plein air class. We
painted at Deer Island, under skies that definitely improved during the day. We had been promised rain, and the possibility of thunderstorms, but all turned out much better than expected.

Here's a 16x30" demonstration from the class. I was speaking of many things, and what I said may have made more sense than the resulting oil sketch might imply.

 
Subsequently, in my studio, I did some reorganizing, and chose a warmer afternoon light. Whether the trees are golden red because of the afternoon light, or because it may be autumn, is anyone's guess.

I may not keep it in this color scheme, but I now believe in the place, and my job gets easier.


The orangey-red is a bit startling. We'll have to see what happens next.



3 comments:

  1. A lovely place, and I"m a believer. too.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a remarkable change! I think the horizon line on the left works so much better, and of course you are still the 'master of foliage' and light no matter what the colour scheme. The composition is so much calmer without the diagonal cloud mass in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point about that diagonal cloud mass Bruce. Love the feeling this transformed into.

    ReplyDelete